How do I change the mesh in an existing prefab in Unity?
So I made a prefab some time ago and now I want to change the mesh without changing any scripts. I have an OBJ file I want to use. Is there any way to do this? I've read the documentation but I don't seem to understand how to do it.
- Import the mesh into Unity
- Select the prefab you want to modify in the Project Window
- In the Inspector, select your new mesh from the Mesh Filter component
This will update the prefab and any instances you have in any scenes.
The version by Byte56 works if the mesh is on the prefab or one of its first level child-objects. When it’s deeper in the object hierarchy of the prefab, you can’t expand it in the project tree. In that case:
- Drag prefab into scene
- Change the mesh in the MeshFilter component of the sub-object
- Click on the main object of the prefab
- Click “Apply” in the inspector
- Delete prefab from scene
- Database Administration Tutorials
- Programming Tutorials & IT News
- Linux & DevOps World
- Entertainment & General News
- Games & eSport